14 Reasons Why Windsor is a Great Place to Call Home
April 23, 2020
If you’re not from Southern Ontario, you probably think of Windsor, located in Essex County, only as the “auto city” that is close to Detroit. And while Windsor is as close to Detroit as a Canadian city could be and it is home to Ford, GM and FCA auto plants, Windsor should be known for more than these two facts. Windsor is a great city to call home, and here’s 14 reasons why:
1. As a real estate brokerage, we would be remiss to not point out Windsor’s affordable housing market right off the bat. The average selling price for a home in the Windsor region is $357,874. As of March 2020, the average home price in Ontario was $682,7791 - that’s almost 50% more expensive than Windsor! Check out available homes in Windsor.
2. It is a great place to own rental properties. Windsor rental rates have been on the rise with a 15.5% increase2 from June 2018 to June 2019. The increase in monthly rates does not reflect the affordable housing prices, which makes this city attractive for real estate investors.
3. Enjoy the great outdoors in Ontario’s warmest city3! Windsor is home to over 2,500 acres of green space in 202 parks, including the firefighter-themed Captain Wilson Park and Jackson Park with more than 10,000 plants.
4. Windsor is one of the most multi-cultural cities in Ontario with 27% of the population being foreign-born and over 100 cultures represented4 in the city.
5. You don’t need to hop on a flight to Italy to get authentic Italian food if you live in Windsor, just visit Little Italy5! These six city blocks of Italian culture will have you saying Adoro Windsor!
6. But if General Tao Chicken is more your cup of tea (or green tea), Windsor and neighbouring Detroit are home to fantastic Chinese restaurants6.
7. Enjoy 5 km of waterfront on the Detroit River. Scuba diving, stand-up paddle boarding, kayaking, canoeing and boating are all popular activities, plus riverfront parks and restaurants are enjoyed by tourists and residents alike.
8. And who doesn’t love water slides? Adventure Bay Family Waterpark is an indoor waterpark7 that is fun for the whole family, all year long!
9. Held the first weekend of June, Windsor’s annual Art in the Park8 event kicks off the city’s festival season. Over 250 artists showcase their artwork at one of Ontario’s largest outdoor art festivals.
10. With over 135,000 alumni and 16,000 students enrolled each year9, the University of Windsor is ranked in the top 25 universities in Canada10.
11. Windsor’s Walkerville Collegiate Institute is a local secondary school that boasts the Walkerville Centre for the Creative Arts program. The program is the only fine arts program for public school students in the area. Notable grads include R&B singer Tamia and actor Steve Bacic.
12. Do you enjoy a glass of vino on the beach? Look no further than Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery, one of 18 in the area, but the only one with its own beach. Pass the rosé, please!
13. And if wine isn’t your thing, how about whiskey, vodka or rum from the largest distillery in North America? The Hiram Walker & Sons Distillery distills 180,000 liters of alcohol every 24 hours, 5 days a week11.
14. If you’re a sports fan, you’ll be happy to live near the new Little Caesars Arena which is home to the Detroit Red Wings ice hockey team and the Detroit Pistons basketball team. The arena is less than 15 minutes from the border! Plus, after the game you can enjoy the Detroit nightlife.
Need to buy or sell a home in Windsor? Purplebricks can help.
Purplebricks is here to support Canadians by providing them full-service real estate while saving them thousands in commission when selling their home. As for homebuyers, we share the commission by giving buyers $2,000 in cash back* when they buy a home with us. Call 1-855-999-9740 for more information.
Register for a FREE Virtual Evaluation:
Speak to a Home Buying Representative – Register here:
1 National Price Map (CREA)
2 Windsor-area rents rising faster than anywhere in Canada (Windsor Star)
3 The Climate and Weather of Windsor, Ontario (Living in Canada)
4 Diversity (City of Windsor)
5 Via Italia: Windsor’s Little Italy
6 Best Chinatown in Windsor, Ontario (Yelp)
7 Adventure Bay Family Waterpark
8 Art in the Park
9 About the University (University of Windsor)
10 University of Windsor Ranking 2019-2020 (CWUR)
11 Hiram Walker Distillery (Flavier)